Sunday, September 4, 2022

Maybe the Willow Knows

You were never the plan 

As we wandered through the morning lit cemetery 

Sunlight lazily dancing with the beckoning arms of the willows 

Hands anxiously grazing too aware finger tips 

Glimpses of a future flitted across the tops of the stillness 

Flickering like memory movie screening 

Too distant to be distinguished  

A feeling unfamiliar crept its way through my hairline 

Rooting in the base of my neck, it sat waiting 

 

I have worn out miles looking for love 

Overturned cities and bedrooms 

Leaving behind tiny pieces of my heart like breadcrumbs 

Should have known that my love would be hiding 

Tangled in the long forgotten 

 

You were never the plan 

Had commended love into the basement of my mind 

Something for the other  

I was always the almost 

The maybe 

The one to come before the vows 

I had settled resolute in the meaning of lonely 

 

So gently you slipped  

Through the door I thought was ironed 

Revealing that maybe my fate  

Was not one to be forgotten in the graveyard 

Perhaps maybe the willows held the secret

to what might be forever

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maybe the Willow Knows

You were never the plan   As we wandered through the morning lit cemetery   Sunlight lazily dancing with the beckoning arms of the willows  ...